So this is embarrassingly late, but happy 2017 everyone! I don’t know why, but the new year always seems to creep up on me. I’ve never been the type to do anything particularly special to celebrate, but my family did visit me in Tokyo over the winter holidays. On New Years Day we visited the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, one of the few places that actually opens its doors on January 1st. Needless to say the weather was beautiful, and we even got to see Mount Fuji in all its glory. Definitely not a bad way to ring in the new year!
To be honest, I don’t know how any year could top 2016 for me. It was the year I moved abroad to study in Japan, and experienced things I never could have dreamed of back at home. While my time here isn’t over just yet, I have been thinking about things I want to achieve when I return to Australia. Although I don’t have any grand plans at the moment, these are some goals I want to achieve this year:
1. Keep studying Japanese. Having spent so much of the past year improving my language skills, it’d be a total waste to forget it all once I’m back home. Even though it’ll be a challenge, I definitely want to keep revising what I’ve learnt on a regular basis!
2. Visit as many new places as possible. There’s so much of the world I haven’t seen. Even if it just means venturing on more day trips, I really want to discover more places I’ve never visited before.
3. Finally get my driver’s license. This is super embarrassing to admit, but after six years it’s about time I’m held accountable!
4. Be more creative. Ever since I started living in a dorm, it’s felt like forever since I last created something with my own two hands. Whether it’s something hand-sewn or even a good old cake, I can’t wait to get back into making things once I’m back in Australia.
5. Try to be more health conscious. There have been so many times in 2016 when I’ve felt completely overwhelmed, sometimes at the risk of my own health and sanity. This year I definitely want to start prioritising my health more, whether it’s by remembering to take my meds or just scheduling in some more me time.
What are your goals for this year, if you even have any? As always, thanks for sticking around to read my ramblings, and here’s to an amazing year ahead of us! I’m not quite sure what to expect from 2017, but I’m excited to find out what lies ahead.